- B.S., Grand Canyon University
- M.Ed., Northern Arizona University
- Post-Master’s Degree Studies, Ottawa University
- Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, Capella University
Brooks has over 35 years of experience in working with married couples, families, children, adolescents and adults, all concerning a wide range of issues, developing several areas of specialization during that time. He has served the community for many years in ministry and in various roles on committees and as a Court appointed forensic expert in the Arizona Court System. Listed are only a few of these examples, including:
- The Maricopa County Superior Court’s Behavioral Health Committee for ten years.
- Co-author of Planning For Parenting Time: Arizona’s Guide For Parent’s Living Apart. This booklet, updated in 2013, is intended to help parents reach agreements about parenting time with their children and is Arizona’s guide to resolving child custody disputes.
- Served on the Domestic Relations Committee’s, Ad Hoc Child Custody Workgroup from 2010-2011. The Domestic Relations Committee (DRC), an interim legislative committee, was formed by legislation that was passed in 2002, (A.R.S.§ 25-323.02). The DRC established the Ad Hoc Workgroup (members list) in 2010 to review and recommend improvements to the Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 25, Chapter 4; on Child Custody. The Workgroup drafted written suggestions for new statutes-Ad Hoc documents drafted, posted their work on the Supreme Courts’ website- Research, Reports and Shared materials, and sought input from the community by holding open meetings and encouraging public comment through discussion on language regarding the “Primary Parent” & “best interests” of the child.
- Providing testimony to a Senate Committee of the Arizona Legislature on proposed bills concerning the handling of mental health experts appointed to high conflict divorce and child custody cases in Family Court.
- Currently serves as the Director of Counseling for the Arizona Justice Center (AJC), a non-profit organization that provides free and low cost legal services and counseling services on a sliding scale. Brooks is also in instructor for the Lay Counselor Training program through AJC that offers classes and training for individuals wanting to serve the community as Lay counselors.
- During Mayor Paul Johnson’s term, Brooks served on the Mayor’s Adolescent Task Force and taught Parenting Classes in the community for parents of adolescents.
- Brooks is the founder of Mending Lives LLC, an organization that provides many services to families in the west valley in addition to counseling. Brooks is also a charter member of the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC).